Friday, April 16, 2010

Thoughts from the OR

So today I made up my missing clinical hours (from my missed days due to strep throat, blegh!) with another group. This group's clinical instructor runs things differently from how mine does, so I got the opportunity to spend the morning shadowing in the OR!

It's amazing to me the amount of energy I can glean from being near surgeries! I'm such a surgery junkie.

The OR tech (who is also an LPN) showed me the ropes and talked to me about a great many things that got my mind to thinking. I would very much like to be in a position to work in an OR. He and I were very similar in mindset, and he really seemed to thrive in his position. I enjoyed watching him work. I've got many thoughts now about how to pursue my nursing career.

In any case, one of the surgeries I watched was a diagnostic laparoscopy of the abdomen. The gentleman was having a good deal of pain for quite a while, but it turns out there was nothing evident that was likely to be causing his pain. Hopefully for him, he will feel better knowing there is nothing physically wrong.

The second surgery was an orthopedic case - an ankle fusion! Boy was that interesting to watch. You always hear how strenuous ortho is, but it doesn't really mean anything until you've seen it done. They really have to put their backs into it! And now that gentleman has some hardware in his leg that will hopefully help with the pain he's been experiencing from his degenerated ankle joint. As someone who has her own hardware (broken navicular), I hope his surgery helps him as much as mine helped me. I also wish him luck with the rather impressive wound on that same ankle. I cannot imagine living with such painful-looking damage!

So that is my summary. I have a lot to think on, but for now I am in serious need of sleep. Good night to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment